Sunday, March 14, 2010

3 Lack Luster Movies

Thanks to the two week free trial of Netflix I have seen a couple of movies. The first was The Stepfather. Not a bad suspense/thriller. However, after recently discovering the tv show Criminal Minds (hopelessly addictive by the way) I found that the movie was lacking any sort of back story on the main character.

Yes, at the beginning of the movie he has obviously murdered his family and changed his look and identity... but why? Was this the first time? Is the story he tells to pick up a new family the truth? What was the stressor that caused him to kill the previous family on Christmas morning? I just really found myself wanting to know more about his profile.

The second movie was Shutter Island starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, and Ben Kingsley and directed by Martin Scorsese. It was a good movie, with lot's of twists and turns but the previews had giving the feel that there were supernatural elements to this film, which there were not. That didn't make it "bad" just not what we were expecting. Again, it was suspenseful and had some good twists but in the end, Sugar and I were thinking we would have written the ending to be different.

Lastly, we watched Motherhood with Uma Thurman, Anthony Edwards and Minnie Driver. If you are a mom you will probably relate to the stress and pressure that her character feels. You will empathize with her massive "to do" list, with her seemingly absent husband and her overwhelming sense of losing her sense of self. However, you will probably feel an enormous sense of relief that you are NOT a mother of two, living in two walk up, rent stabilized apartments in Greenwich Village dealing not only with the everyday stresses of motherhood, but with the unpleasantly portrayed personalities of her fellow New Yorkers. The woman standing behind her in line at the party store who, every time the line moved a little would snap, "The line's moving, move up! Move up!" made me so anxious I thought I might need a Klonopin to finish the movie. As if moving up those 18 inches was going to make all the difference in the world.

I will say that the husband did say all the right things and do the right thing at the right time. But once again, I'm not sure I would have ended the way it did.

Nothing has wowed me yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment