Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Not From the Car Wash

Remember when you were a teenager? It doesn't feel that long ago does it? Do you remember the first time you thought you were in love? Were those times melodramatic and filled with angst?

I ask, because I am a mere bystander at the moment watching some teenage drama up close and too personal. He's grounded. No phone. No Ipod. No computer. No one allowed over. Completely cut off from the world and his "love" (girlfriend) completely.

So he "runs away" and rides his bike to her house. But he's not allowed in. So he sits in the driveway outside her house while they both pine away.

The teen I live with hears that he's been reported as a runaway, is going to get arrested, thrown out of his home and wind up in juvenille hall. (None of which turns out to be true) Later many of these people wind up in our home to sooth out the drama for the evening, only to have more of it surface today.

The boy shows up here to have his friend walk with him to get a haircut at the same time coincidentally the girlfriend shows up. He's not supposed to see her. She's not supposed be here and our teen is screaming at HIS mother.

It's all very Romeo and Juliet. I'm just waiting for the daggers and poison. The girlfriend is already crying suicide. But my point is, I don't remember this kind of drama as a young teenager in love. Maybe then it did seem like the end of the world if I was denied access to my boyfriend or friends. But I was never one to sneak around and break rules after being punished, it only prolonged the agony.

It wasn't that long ago... and yet this type of drama seems light years away. Today, relationships are far more complicated and worth so much more. We have bills, jobs, politics, religion and so much more. Some day, hopefully, they will look back and realize what is really important. In the meantime, I wish it was possible to enjoy the view from the cheap seats. But as an actor, I prefer to leave the drama for the stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment